Absolutely not. Frequently, whether they look great or not, those can be the worst sites.
- Flash is not search engine friendly.
- Flash animations are often just annoying to the web surfer and they’ll leave to avoid that annoying thing.
- Flash sites can take too long to load (and your customers will click Back and forget about you).
- Not everyone has Flash installed on their computer (or knows how to install it).
- It is not accessible to blind surfers using screen readers.
- Many Flash sites have audio and most surfers dislike audio on websites.
- Many web surfers now block Flash due to its use to spread viruses and malware, and also because many are used for ads.
- It does not show up on many mobile phones, including iPhones.
And sure, we can make multiple versions of a website. However, scripts properly detecting browsers and redirecting the user have a chance to not detect a browser correctly. Additionally, it’ll cost you more for us to make duplicate versions of your website. Flash can be a great thing, but you want someone who knows the appropriate times to use it.
Posted in: Website Myths