WordPress is open source (free) software used to run websites. Most people think of it as blogging software, but it does so much more. We can set up shopping carts, special members-only areas, image galleries, contact forms, or just use it for a plain website without a blog or special interactivity.
What WordPress has is
- the ability to, fairly easily, do fancier things with your site (like add blogs, contact forms, image galleries, etc)
- the ability for website owners to maintain their websites without needing Dreamweaver, and knowing little to no HTML
- the ability to change it via web browser, so the site can be updated anywhere there is Internet access
- the ability to change the look of the site fairly quickly though pre-built templates that are easily installed.
- the ability to update navigation site-wide when new pages are added